Popular job offers
Job title :
Contract type :
Working hours :
Gross remuneration 25000.00 - 35000.00 € Yearly
South32 is a globally diversified mining and metals company. Our purpose is to make a difference by developing natural resources, improving people’s lives now and for generations to come. We are trusted by our owners and partners to realise the potential of their resources. We produce bauxite, alumina, aluminium, metallurgical coal, manganese, nickel, silver, lead and zinc at our operations in Australia, Southern Africa and South America. With a focus on growing our base metals exposure, we also have two development options in North America and several partnerships with junior explorers around the world.
There is a preference for this role to be based in North or South America, but we may consider locating the role at one of our other South32 offices.
This role will provide support and direction to safely deliver South32’s Greenfields Exploration strategy at a corporate level through effective management and deployment of specialised technical support services across the global exploration portfolio, including generative activities and evaluation of new opportunities for consideration and pursuit.
The role supports and works closely with country/discipline leads and managers to deliver safe and effective field operations by ensuring activities are appropriately planned, scheduled, budgeted, and executed to secure, build, and maintain a portfolio of internal and externally generated opportunities.
- Deliver expert (consultant level) project generation and evaluation services to the broader Greenfields team to capture high-quality resource opportunities to support South32’s growth strategy, with a focus on base metals or other commodity exposures where value is ascertained.
- Contributes to setting strategies and direction to drive long-term value for the business through effective management and appraisal of greenfield opportunities across the exploration life cycle.
- Contributes to the implementation and continuous improvement of Risk and HSEC Management Systems for Greenfields Operations, in compliance with all South32 policies and standards.
- Regular reporting on the progress of assigned exploration projects, including measure, track and report Greenfields exploration performance and results, and provide management with information regarding any safety, financial, and legal performance deviation or technical difficulties.
- Coach and mentor the Greenfields Team, ensuring effective talent management and succession planning for key technical roles.
- Drives technical geoscience excellence and provides specialist commodity input and advice on the identification and evaluation of greenfield discovery opportunities (internal/external). This includes:
- A focus on generative geoscience workflow and structural geology as applied to base metal exploration.
- Ensure the work of on-site & project teams is supported and completed to the appropriate South32 standards whilst identifying improvement opportunities.
- Training, supporting and mentoring of geologists in structural geology data collection, analysis, validation and interpretation.
- Terrane ranking, prospectivity mapping, and opportunity identification.
- Improving and refining structural and stratigraphic knowledge on active projects and acquisition opportunities.
- Conducting target generation exercises from prospect to regional scale, including the use of GIS for spatial analyses and 3D geological/structural modelling.
- Advise and demonstrate the technical merits of the opportunity, including surrounding mineral endowment and residual prospectivity.
- Executing safe, effective and timely field-based verification of opportunities, including travel to third party operated project locations.
- Collaboratively with the Corporate Development Centre (and third parties), design technical work programs to ensure exploration objectives are safely and effectively achieved. This includes, managing and integrating contributions from expert external contractors and consultants.
- Contributes to geoscience technical standards for Greenfields Exploration and provides assurance that relevant activities are high quality and being conducted to standard.
- Maintains current knowledge on third party exploration results, regional exploration activity, and trends. Pro-actively provides feedback on regional third party intelligence to the ‘Centre’.
Key shared responsibilities
- Effectively communicates key structural findings to a broader range of stakeholders, including relevant South 32 functions.
- Collaborates with South32 Functions to build resilient relationships with our business partners, communities and government to ensure South32 has a social and legal license to operate in the district.
- Works, in collaboration with Supply, Community, and Legal Functions, to develop and maintain relationships with contractors and suppliers and ensures alignment of the contractual obligations, terms and scope.
- Contributes to the development and maintenance of appropriate and compliant Human Resources, HSEC and Risk materials for Greenfields Exploration, and tailored for each project, site in conjunction with the relevant function SMEs.
Qualifications & Experience
- Degree in relevant geoscience discipline with postgraduate qualification in geology or related theme, with preference for MSc or PhD level in economic or structural geology.
- Strong multi-commodity geoscience evaluation and targeting background, developed from substantive early to advanced stage exploration and development experience across diverse deposit styles and geographies. A strong background in structural geology and base metals is required, particularly porphyry/skarn, carbonate replacement, SEDEX and VMS systems.
- Strong understanding of the geological processes driving mineralised systems and the formation of base metal mineral deposits, discovery exploration value drivers and strategies across a range of commodities.
- Generative exploration and reconnaissance skills required, and the ability to balance technical, operational and risk elements based on incomplete and / or ambiguous information.
- Specialized skills in core logging and mapping, and the interpretation and integration of complex and often fragmented datasets including lithological, alteration, mineralogy, structural, geochemical, geophysical, remote sensing and geochronological data.
- Relevant experience with geological data in 2D and 3D using GIS and modelling software e.g. Leapfrog. Advanced understanding of the geological processes driving mineralised systems and the formation of mineral deposits, discovery exploration value drivers and strategies across a range of commodities.
- Preferred 10+ years’ experience in mining/exploration or consulting.
- Planning and execution of structural studies, including visible safety leadership and sound risk assessment and management.
- Sound general knowledge of exploratory activities.
- Advanced communication skills, including the ability to present geoscientific results to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Extensive and varied experience working in exploration or consulting to mining/exploration companies across a wide range of commodities.
- Regional exploration project portfolio management experience.
- Leadership of remote or culturally diverse workforces, and sound risk assessment and management experience.
- Proven ability to work independently and unsupervised.
Required skills :
- Mineral deposit
- Natural resource
- Project Estimation
- Data collection
- Risk assessment
- Talent Management
- Succession planning
- Software (computer)
- 2D modeling
- Structural geology
- Manufacturing or operations
- Human Resources
- Data analysis
- Communication skills
- Continuous improvement
- Technical Support
- IT Risk Analysis
- 3D Modeling
- Risk Management
- Software GIS